Monday, October 4, 2010

I Can See The Light...Sort Of

Chuck, the inspector, came this afternoon to do his final inspection.  Not that I was surprised, but we passed.  All he did was walk around to the outlets, plug a tester in, and say, "that's good."  He was just checking to make sure I hooked up the wires correctly.  Funny, since we discovered in the process Sunday that the previous owners wired a lot, if not all, of them backwards.  At one point, Chuck said, "I thought you were going to put one on this wall."  I showed him where it was and he, "Ah, yes for the TV."  So, I'm guessing that we have a family room and not a storage room.

We chatted a bit and I told him that in the next year or so we would probably frame in the affectionately known "stair room" and asked if we needed a permit.  He said no, unless we were going to do outlets.  Which I said probably not, then realized they are all in the ceiling and will eventually be covered by a drop ceiling.  He said if we wanted to rough it in just in case to call him and he come check it without charging us.

The plan was to install most of the trim before picking up the kids.  I put a second coat on the flipside of the door while waiting for Chuck.  Then, without thinking, I touched up some of the corner pieces for the trim, which meant I had to wait for most of it.  I got a couple of pieces installed and should be able to do the rest  Tuesday afternoon.

The "midget door" doesn't quite fit.  It's a little too late to go back and cut out the part of the frame that we intended to do in the first place.  No big deal, we'll just notch the bottom of the door a bit, and it should be good.  Ken's going to stop by tomorrow to help with out and some of the door trim.

This evening, I hung the door and it goes into the wall, so I guess it's right!  I also broke in the new carpet cleaner cleaning an old chair that we brought back from the motherland this summer.

All in all, it looks like this project should be "completed" Tuesday evening.  (There is still some old wiring to take down--more or less just to clean it up a bit--and some sort of sound dampening thingy and eventually a drop ceiling....looks like I have some research to do!).  Then, we can start moving stuff in and putting other parts of the house back together.  It will be nice to see the TV again in the music room and be able to come down and play music!

Surprisingly, I have fell over yet from the lack of sleep last night.  There was something else minor I was going to do have this update, but I can't remember.  Guess I'll watch a bit of TV, then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment