Monday, August 16, 2010

The Walls

The walls are in really good conditions and pretty straight considering the age of the house.  Again, ask Ken about this one because I think he's a little jealous.

The exposed brick is really cool and would be neat to keep, but that might cause a slight problem with insulation.  As far as we know, we have never had any leakage issues in this room as we have in some others (which will be address sometime in the future).  However, to be safe, the walls are being coated with Drylock.

Never using Drylock before, I foolishly thought it would be like paint: one gallon would be more than enough for two walls and it would be easy to apply.  Wrong and wrong!  One gallon almost covered one wall and I may have put it on too thin.  So, Sunday we took another trip to Lincoln (as we can't get it in York) and purchased three more gallons.  Hopefully, that is enough to cover the rest of the walls and do a second coat.  Actually, I'm hoping its more than enough and we can take one gallon back.

Drylock is very thick and hard to apply.  The directions say you can roll it one with a 3/4" nap roller and backbrush it to fill in the gaps.  Well, the roller things didn't work out too well.  I'm thinking because it is so thick.  Considering I was going to have to go back and use a brush on most of the wall anyway to fill in gaps and seams, I've decided to go straight brush.  I can cover about one block with each brush full of sealer.

The goal is have the walls (and everything else) completely prepped for the rest of the work by the of this week.  Since I have meetings and other obligations during the day with my real job, that probably means some late nights, but in the words of Nebraska native, Larry the Cable Guy, we'll git-r-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment