Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Permits and More Permits

After my last class today, I went downtown to inquire what I needed to do to get a building permit.  Apparently, all you have to do is say the word "permit" and they start filling out the application.  That's great, but not why I went in there.  Plus, we still have a few decisions to make.  The lady seemed shocked that the room already had outlets and lights. 

From talking to some friends, we have a very unique basement.  We have direct access from the outside, as well as inside, which most homes here do not; our basement is basically the same size at the main floor, which most are not; and, all of the rooms already have lights and most, if not all, have at least one outlet.

In addition to the buidling permit, we will need to get an electrical permit and have inspections before we dry wall.  We could get around that as there are three outlets in the room already; but, we probably either need to move a couple of them as they are all on top of each other, and/or add additional ones.

The lady is going to have the inspector call me because I have questions.  I hope he doesn't call too quickly because I probably need to make up some questions other than "what do you need from me so I can get a building permit?".  This could get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment