Friday, August 27, 2010

Permitting Done

Thursday afternoon, I went back downtown and applied for the building permit.  It should be mailed out today, so hopefully, I'll get it Saturday.  I also applied for the electrical permit, as we will move a few things and add additional outlets.  I guess that will get mailed out too, but I'm not sure.  The lady only said that it would be billed out after the inspection.

Speaking of inspection, the inspector called me yesterday while my phone was dead.  He did leave a message with some good information and kept me from having to make up questions to ask.

I am still not sure what we "building."  The inspector's message said that if people we're going to be sleeping in there, an egress window was strongly recommended.  He came up while I was getting stuff taken care of yesterday and asked what the room was going to be used for.  I told him playroom or something, that we really weren't sure.  His was response was basically, "Oh, you can't call it a family room if it doesn't have an egress, so you better call it a storage room."  More than once, he said, "you better call it a storage room." 

I've read the code and know that what we a doing doesn't require an egress.  I did ask something to the effect of, "Even though it has direct access to the outside?"  Response was something to the effect of if it has two stairways, one going to the main floor and one going outside, it can be called a family room.  There was a little more to it, but that's the gist of the conversation.  However, I'm still not sure I the remodel is a storage room or a family room.  If it is a storage room, I think I'm going to store our extra bed in there.

After getting the permitting taken care of, I went home to do some work with no one around.  That worked out well (sarcasm, by the way).  I did get a chest of drawers upstairs and Cal's room.  I also got the mattress down to the basement, but not the box springs.  I tried to go down from the inside, then tried from the back basement door.  I even took the door off and couldn't get it.  Hey, if it didn't work the first time, try again.  I spent a good amount of then trying to get it downstairs from inside again and even took the door off.  I need for either 1) the box springs to bend like the mattress did, or 2) about four more inches of clearance.  I'm thinking I'm going to try the outside basement door again with some help to see if I just couldn't turn it to the right angle by myself.

Wow, I should really get to class now.

Supplies will be ordered early next week and construction will officially start the first Saturday in September.  I'm sure there will be plenty of stories from that adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment