Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Latest Project

Detasseling 2011 is over for me.  The crew will go out two more days, but due to other commitments, yesterday was my last day.  With just a few weeks left before school starts, I should probably be preparing for the fall semester.  However, a few others things must be done first.

Technically, we live in the attic.  The previous owners finished out the attic into livable space.  It super cool but does have its drawbacks.  One of those is the shower.  With the pitch ceiling and the shower location, steam and such accumulates and rolls down.  It leaves unsightly hard water marks on the paint.  Even worse is that it has caused a small section of the sheetrock to rot.

I've spent the morning cutting out a piece and getting a replacement piece installed and initial mud on it.  I think it is going to bother me some that it isn't going to be perfect.  However, considering that I only have about 2 1/2 days to get it all done, I think I can settle for now and perfect it later.  After all, it is more important to stop the damage from spreading at this point.  So now I'm in the waiting stage.  If you've ever mudded, you know there is a lot of hurry up and wait.

The hardest part was getting the sheetrock to the right size.  The shower insert has a lip so I had to make about an inch gap all the way down the sheetrock.  I don't know if you are really supposed to do that, but I did.  If you won't tell, I won't.

This afternoon, I'll clean up the basement a bit from the mud and grime of detasseling so we can use it for a few days.

Here's a few pics.  I couldn't find the camera so they are from my phone and, therefore, not that great.



No comments:

Post a Comment